My Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole does not look very pretty. The blog post I based this recipe off of had beautiful photos and made me very excited to try it.
There are a couple reasons I call myself the reluctant cook. One is that my food rarely turns out pretty. The other is that I have to do a lot of adaptations to recipes I find online either because I don’t have all the ingredients (as in this recipe) or I get distracted and forget to check the cook time which results in overcooked foods.
Regardless, this actually tasted really good! One of the things I’ve also had to get comfortable with is using the right amount of spices and salt. I watched my mom and ex husband pour on the salt and I know they both have health problems, so it made me worry about eating too much of it.
But, one of the things we need when on a low-carb diet is more salt, and boy does it make a difference to how the food tastes and how I feel.
Anyway……. here’s the recipe and my not so pretty food.
- 1 package frozen cauliflower (mine is the kroger brand)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces uncured reduced sodium bacon (I didn’t have bacon, so I used turkey pepperoni)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground burger (turkey or beef is fine)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (I used half n half because it’s what I had)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 8 ounces sliced cheddar cheese
- Microwave cauliflower according to package
- Place into a food processor and pulse until it resembles rice.
- Set aside in a bowl to cool then add the flour and salt and mix well.
- Brown the burger.
- Add the onion powder, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Remove burger with a slotted spatula or spoon.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. ( I have a NuWave Oven, so I don’t have to pre-heat)
- For the sauce: Add the butter to the same skillet and stir in the flour over low heat.
- Cook until the flour has absorbed the butter then add heavy cream and mustard.
- Continue to cook on low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Place 1/2 cup of the sauce to the bottom of a 9 by 13 baking dish.
- Spread the cauliflower mixture on the sauce as evenly as possible.
- Place 4 ounces of sliced cheddar over the cauliflower.
- Spread the ground turkey over the cheddar slices evenly.
- Pour half of the remaining sauce over the burger.
- Place the remaining cheddar slices over the sauce.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with pepperoni.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool out of the oven for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.
- I used pepperoni instead of bacon, because it’s what I had on hand.
- Not using bacon cuts out a lot of extra cooking.
- I have a NuWave oven which means, food cooks a little quicker and it overcooked my burger. Next time, I’ll either not brown it so much in the pan, or I’ll not add the burger mix to the casserole until the other parts have baked for a while.
- I would add more cheese to the top of the casserole. Shredded would probably be best.